What is a Silicone Antifoam?
A silicone antifoam is typically made of hydrophobized silica finely dispersed within silicone fluid. This compound is often stabilized in the form of a water-based emulsion. Silicone antifoams are effective at foam control because of their strength at low concentrations, their chemical inertness, and their ability to rapidly spread over a foam film.
Advantages of Silicone Antifoams
Added before the formation of foam, antifoam agents prevent foaming in many types of industrial processes, including applications ranging from wastewater treatment to chemical manufacture to food processing.
Silicone antifoams are often the most efficient and economical products for controlling foaming issues for several reasons.
- Economical:They tend to be effective at tiny dosage rates, thereby saving on operating costs.
- Long-lasting: Silicone antifoams are a persistent and long-lasting type of foam suppression agent.
- Low reactivity:Silicone antifoams are inert and less apt to react with chemicals that may be present in the process liquid.
- Low surface tension:To facilitate their performance, silicone antifoams are designed to have a lower surface tension than the foaming liquid.
- Versatility:Silicone antifoams are versatile and find utility in many types of applications, such as wastewater treatment, coatings, pulp processing and detergent manufacture.
- Ease of use:Silicone antifoams are available in liquid form across a range of viscosities for ease of application. Powdered products are also available.
- Fast acting:Designed to spread quickly, silicone antifoams provide fast and aggressive foam destruction.
Applications for Silicone Antifoams
Water and Wastewater Treatment
Silicone antifoams are used in many types of water and wastewater applications including aeration basins, equalization tanks, landfill leachate and evaporative treatment units.
Food Processing and Agriculture
Foam issues can occur within food and agricultural processing due to the presence of organic materials, mixing, chemical reactions, and pressurization. Silicone antifoam agents are used in many types of food processing, including products, fermentations, fruit & vegetable processing, dairy and beverage manufacturing.
Pulp and Paper
Water-based silicone emulsions make up the majority of modern brown stock washing antifoams. They enable foam control, improve drainage, and reduce carry-over to the paper machine.
Cleaning Products and Processes
Antifoams are found in floor polishes, carpet cleaners, detergents, sanitizing products, and other cleaning and janitorial products. Silicone antifoams are also important to efficiently produce these cleaning products and reduce foam during blending, bottling and clean-up.
High-Quality Silicone Antifoams from Applied Material Solutions
Silicone antifoaming agents are an efficient way to control foam in industrial liquid processing. These products help save time and money in water treatment, chemical manufacturing, food processing, and other industries.